Texas school excels in ranking of country’s best graduate schools while Houston schools lag behind
When it comes to the country's top graduate school programs, the University of Texas at Austin is at the head of the class.
A new ranking, released March 17 by U.S. News & World Report, shows UT Austin tied for third place among public universities for the most graduate schools and specialties (48) ranked in the top 10. Only the University of California, Berkeley and the University of Michigan have more.
UT's top five graduate schools for 2021, according to U.S. News: School of Information (No. 5), Jackson School of Geosciences (No. 7), LBJ School of Public Affairs (No. 8), Steve Hicks School of Social Work (No. 8), and Cockrell School of Engineering (No. 10).
U.S. News, bases its annual rankings of on two types of data: expert opinions about program excellence, and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school's faculty, research, and students.
Also making the grade is UT's prestigious law school, tied for 16th in the nation, and School of Nursing, which placed No. 24.
Meanwhile, UT's McCombs School of Business' full-time MBA program claimed the No. 17 spot, up one spot from last year. The school's part-time MBA program landed at No. 7, up from No. 8 in 2019, and the executive MBA program jumped from two spots to No. 12 this year.
For all three types of MBA programs, UT Austin leads the rankings for Texas schools.
A few Houston schools do make a few of the lists, but the universities from the Bayou City fall far down the ranking. Here are the schools that made it into the top 100 of the engineering, nursing, law, business, and medical lists.
- RiceUniversity's Jones School of Business ties at No. 25 on the best business graduate schools list
- University of Houston's Bauer College of Business ties at No. 95 on the best business graduate schools list
- The Law Center at UniversityofHouston ties at No. 56 on the best law schools list
- BaylorCollegeofMedicine ranks No. 22 on the best medical schools list
- RiceUniversity's George R. Brown School of Engineering ties at No. 33 on the best engineering graduate schools list
- The Cullen College of Engineering at UniversityofHouston ties at No. 67 on the best engineering graduate schools list
- UniversityofTexas Health Science Center in Houston ties at No. 27 on the best nursing schools list for master's
- The College of Education at UniversityofHouston ties for No. 91 on the best education graduate schools list
This article originally ran on CultureMap.