hooting in Houston
Report: Rice University again ranks among the top schools in nation
Rice University has earned yet another accolade worth hooting about.
Niche, an education review and ranking website, has named Rice the ninth best college in the U.S., down from No. 6 last year. The Houston university receives an A+ in nine of the 12 ranking categories, including academics, diversity, and value. It gets an A for the party scene, a B+ for athletics, and a B for safety.
“We’re proud that Niche once again rates Rice not only one of the nation’s top universities, but also one of the nation’s best college values,” university President Reginald DesRoches said in 2022. “This is especially gratifying because Niche reflects the opinions of students and parents who know firsthand what outstanding education opportunities Rice continues to offer.”
“Rice is an awesome place. I went to Rice because I wanted professors who actually wanted to see their students succeed, and I can confidently say that’s what I found at Rice,” a student wrote in a Niche review. “The classes are thorough but the tests are very reasonable and focus on the material we learned in class.”
Topping Niche’s national list is Yale University, followed by Stanford University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard University, Princeton University, Columbia University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Dartmouth College.
Rice comes in at No. 12 on Niche’s list of the “best value colleges” in the U.S. and ranks first among the best colleges in Texas. Here are the top 10 Texas schools, including the eighth-ranked University of Houston:
1. Rice University
2. University of Texas at Austin
3. Texas A&M University (College Station)
4. Trinity University (San Antonio)
5. Southern Methodist University (University Park)
6. Texas Christian University (Fort Worth)
7. Texas Tech University (Lubbock)
8. University of Houston
9. University of Texas Permian Basin (Odessa)
10. Baylor University (Waco)
Other Houston-area schools in the Texas ranking are:
- University of Houston – Clear Lake (No. 13)
- University of St. Thomas (No. 26)
- University of Houston – Downtown (No. 39)
- Prairie View A&M University (No. 43)
“Choosing where to go to college is easily one of the most significant — and expensive — decisions of a person’s life. Niche’s mission is to ensure that every college-bound student has access to easy, transparent and free resources … to help them find their best fit,” Luke Skurman, founder and CEO of Niche, says in a news release.
- Rice University rises to No. 1 spot in new ranking of best college investments ›
- Rice University rolls out hybrid MBA track ›
- Rice University scores another accolade as top school in the nation ›
- 7 prestigious Houston-area high schools rank among best in Texas for 2021 ›
- Houston university declared No. 7 in the nation and best in Texas by new study ›
- Rice University scores No. 6 rank among best colleges in the U.S. and No. 1 in Texas ›
- 2 Houston universities score big for patents, MBA programs - InnovationMap ›
- University of Houston, Rice University named as top schools on new report - InnovationMap ›