Two new rankings have put the University of Houston and Rice University in the academic limelight.
UH ranks 60th on the National Academy of Inventors’ list of the top 100 universities for utility patents granted last year in the U.S. Meanwhile, Rice has moved up dramatically on Bloomberg Businessweek’s annual list of the top full-time MBA programs.
In 2022, UH received 32 utility patents. The university explains that utility patents are among the world’s most valuable assets because they give inventors exclusive commercial rights for producing and using their technology.
UH joins the University of Texas (No. 3), Texas A&M University (No. 37), Texas Tech University (tie for No. 75), and Baylor University (tie for No. 75) as the only Texas schools on the patent list.
“This recognition further underscores our commitment to innovation and the impactful research taking place at UH,” says Ramanan Krishnamoorti, the university’s vice president of energy and innovation. “It is a testament to the dedication and ingenuity of our faculty, researchers, and students who continue to push the boundaries of knowledge and drive positive change in our world through their hard work and inventive contributions.”
Rice also is sharing in recent academic accolades.
Rice’s Jones Graduate School of Business climbed 10 spots — to No. 19 — in Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2023-24 ranking of full-time MBA programs. Rice holds the No. 1 spot among Texas programs.
The Jones School gained ground in the ranking’s learning, networking, diversity, and entrepreneurship categories.
“Rising in the rankings for networking and diversity shows how Rice’s faculty and staff are dedicated to creating an entire environment and ecosystem that benefits our students, not just what happens inside the classroom,” says Peter Rodriguez, the business dean at Rice. “I am especially proud of these metrics that highlight Rice’s ability to bring people together.”
- University of Houston names new leader to Shell-supported energy transition initiative ›
- University of Houston plans to build new central campus innovation hub ›
- Rice University announces leader of new materials and nanotechnology institute ›
- Rice University rolls out hybrid MBA track ›
- Rice University scores No. 6 rank among best colleges in the U.S. and No. 1 in Texas ›
- Report: Rice University again ranks among the top schools in nation ›
- NAI awards professors from University of Houston, MD Anderson - InnovationMap ›