where to be online
Here's what Dallas Startup Week events Houston entrepreneurs should attend
While a 4-hour trip up Interstate 45 might, in years prior, could have caused Houston entrepreneurs pause from attending the annual Dallas Startup Week, this year there's no excuse.
DSW is taking place online this year, and there are more than a couple virtual events Houston entrepreneurs need to attend. Here's which virtual events Houstonians should log on to.
Monday - The State of Fundraising in Texas
A panel of Texas-based venture experts will discuss the state of fundraising in Dallas and Texas as a whole. The panel includes:
- Bryan Chambers, vice president of Accelerator & Investment Fund at Capital Factory
- Cindy Revol, principal at Perot Jain
- Laura Baldwin, managing director at Golden Seeds
- Mike Marcantonio, principal at Live Oak Venture Partners
The virtual panel is at 9 am on Monday, August 31. More information.
Monday - Women Investing in Women
Two Houston women — Leslie Goldman, co-founder and general partner of The Artemis Fund, and Kim Raath, co-founder and CEO of Topl — are taking the virtual stage to discuss women in investing.
The virtual fireside chat is at 11 am on Monday, August 31. More information.
Monday - Innovating in co-working in a COVID-19 world
Trey Bowles and Delanie Majors from The DEC Network will host CEO and founder of Common Desk, Nick Clark, for a discussion on how COVID-19 affected co-working spaces and the entrepreneurs that used to work out of them.
The virtual panel is at 11:30 am on Monday, August 31. More information.
Tuesday - The Future of Marketing Post COVID-19In 2020, the world changed as we know it. Hear from these marketing leaders about how the landscape will continue to change, and how you can be equipped to market your business during and after a pandemic. Panelists include:
- Ramon Mendez, co-founder of Brand Army
- Phil Lockhart, partner & chief digital officer of Credera
- Michael Pratt, founder of Digital Fight Club
- Laci McKinney, founder of The People's Voice Creative Agency
- Jennifer Cho, executive vice president and general manager if Weber Shandwick
The virtual fireside chat is at 3:15 pm on Tuesday, September 1. More information.
Wednesday - Do You Really Know Your Customer: Customer Segmentation is Key to Success
Learn to keys to customer success from a panel of seven businesswomen, including:
- Tracey Altman, principal, Altman Consulting
- Sophia Johnson, founder & president at Alpha Business Images
- Anjie Vichayanonda, founder & CEO of Leg Up Legal
- Karen Jenkins, senior director and regional sales executive of Capital One
- Kristy Alballero, co-founder & COO, IOOGO
- Kristy Alballero is the co-founder and COO of IOOGO
- Marty McDonald, CEO of Boss Women Media
The virtual fireside chat is at 10:15 am on Wednesday, September 2. More information.
Wednesday - How Smalls Can Win Big with Department of Defense
Learning to win government contracts can be a challenging task, yet millions of startups in the United States are thriving because of them. As a founder, entrepreneur, or just a curious individual, check out this session to learn about the keys to success in government contracting. Panelists include:
- David Shaw, co-founder and chief commercialization officer at Astrapi
- Steve Guengerich, senior adviser at the University of Texas at Dallas
- Dave Copps, CEO of Hypergiant Sensory Sciences
- Sam Riehn, business development at Long Capture & Contract Management
The virtual fireside chat is at 11 am on Wednesday, September 2. More information.
Thursday - The State of Corporate Venture
A panel of experts from some of the largest corporations in the world discuss how their companies work with and invest in startups. They will discuss ways to engage with them, what kinds of companies they look to invest in, and how investing has changed during a tumultuous 2020.
- Duane Dankesreiter, senior vice president of Research and Innovation of Dallas Regional Chamber
- Aman Sharma, partner of Capital One Ventures
- Marisa Bertha, senior director at New Business Development & 7-Ventures, 7-Eleven
- Jim Adler, founding managing director at Toyota Ventures
The virtual fireside chat is at 1:05 pm on Thursday, September 3. More information.